Whether you are into farming, gardening or planning for landscape projects, it is very important o know the soil PH and how it is tested. This will help you know the problems that need to be addressed beforehand as it alerts you of any nutritional deficiencies of excesses. Though it is most commonly ignored, routine soil testing is n essential practice as it helps you to know the cation exchange capacity and correct it if required in order to grow healthy plants.
In order to know all that, you need a reliable soil testing kit that will be easy to use. So what must I look for in NPK soil testing kits?
Tips for Selecting a Soil Testing Kit
1. Size of the soil sample – Some testing kits use small soil samples while others use large soil samples. However, small samples may not produce very good results since it may contain some elements that may throw off the result either from the overall alkalinity or acidity.
2. Range for readings – When choosing a soil testing kit, choose one that has a wide range for the reading, preferably from 3.0 to 10.0 pH. With this, you are able to make more accurate readings.
3. Easy to use – Whether you are buying a soil testing kit for landscaping purposes or nutrient management, ensure that the kit is easy to use. You can also look at the manual to ensure that the fonts are large enough for easy reading.
4. Price – The price of the soil testing kit should also be considered when choosing a reliable kit.
5. Reviews – Another great tip for choosing a reliable soil testing kit is by looking at the customer reviews. Read about the experience of first hand buyers with the product to know if it is right for you.
Top 5 Best Soil Kits in 2016
With this tips in mind, you will be able to choose a reliable soil testing kit that will elevate you towards improving your projects success rate. Below are some of the most reliable soil testing kits with a reasonable price and do not require a lot of skill to use.
1. Luster Leaf 1601 Rapitest Soil Test Kit
It is an inexpensive and innovative soil testing kit that includes over 40 tests in total. It has color comparators, very easy to use, and delivers accurate results.
2. Luster Leaf 1820 Rapitest Soil Moisture Meter
This soil meter is optimized for testing the moisture content of soil thus great for determining when your plants need watering. What is good about it is that it doesn’t require batteries to work well on a variety of soils, and can monitor more than 150 plants.
3. Luster Leaf 1612 Rapitest pH Soil Tester
Despite not being able to determine the soil NPK level, this is still one of the best kits for determining the soil pH level. It is very easy to use, quick, and very accurate.
4. Luster Leaf 1609CS Rapitest Soil Tester
For those looking for a reliable, easy to use, and affordable PH and NPK soil testing kits then the Luster Leaf 1609CS Rapitest Soil Tester is the best choice.
5. Environmental Concepts 1662 Professional Soil Test Kit
If you are on a tight budget then this is one of the best soil test kit for you. Packaged in a durable and portable carrying case, it works quickly and has over 40 tests.